When most people think of a chiropractor, they limit themselves to thinking only of their backs. Our chiropractor can also help with extremity joints, muscle and nerve issues, and neck pain. Here at Bakke Chiropractic Clinic, in Tacoma, WA, we can help you with your neck pain.
Causes of Neck Pain
There are several possible causes for pain in this area of the body. The most common causes include:
- Accidents, injuries, or other trauma: Most often, a good jolt (such as a car accident) results in a rapid tightening of the muscles and can potentially cause misalignment of the vertebrae in the spine.
- Tension or stress: Tension gathers in the muscles between the shoulders and at the base of the neck. This can result in pain and inflammation.
- Time: The muscles supporting the head are put through a lot of work. Over the course of an entire day, the shoulders are seldom relieved of the weight of the head. Over the years, this adds up.
- Lifestyle: Posture, obesity, weak abdominals, and jobs that involve the use of your neck and shoulders can add undue wear and tear on the muscles and bones of the area.
Fortunately, a chiropractor can do more than just “pop” your neck. After assessing the likely cause of your particular pain, our doctor can implement a variety of treatments designed to help with neck pain, such as:
- Spinal Alignment: This will relieve pressure on any compressed spinal disks as well as help relieve any strain on the muscles that are compensating for the spine being out of alignment.
- Temperature Treatment: Hot or cold compresses may be used to treat inflamed or irritated muscles.
- Corrective Exercises: Basic exercises from home, taught to you by our chiropractor, help prevent or treat neck pain.