Chiropractic Care for TMJ
TMJ is sometimes so painful that medication, a mouth guard, braces, or other traditional treatments are not enough. It's not surprising when patients turn to Bakke Chiropractic Clinic for help managing TMJ symptoms. Drug-free TMJ treatment by our chiropractor in Tacoma, WA, proves to be more effective in relieving chronic pain and improving the patient's quality of life.
What Is TMJ?
Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder, is a group of conditions that interfere with proper jaw function. The temporomandibular joints located on the left and right side of the head keep the teeth aligned and control jaw movements. The muscles, connective tissue, and discs located between the jawbones work together for smooth gliding of the jaw joints when opening and closing the mouth. Any number of factors can disrupt these functions leading to debilitating pain and other symptoms.
Common TMJ Symptoms
Temporomandibular joint malfunction can result in severe or debilitating jaw pain, muscle stiffness, pain when chewing, difficulty opening or closing the mouth, chronic headaches, or migraines. Other symptoms include:
- Misaligned or deformed jaw
- Limited jaw movement or jaw locking
- Pain or ringing in the ear (tinnitus)
- Pain radiates to the neck, shoulder, or back
- Popping, cracking, or clicking sounds when opening the mouth
TMJ Causes and Risk Factors
TMJ is a complex disorder with a list of potential causes including injury or trauma to the jaw, worn or misaligned discs, or a bad bite (malocclusion). Other common causes or risk factors are chronic teeth grinding or clenching, stress on the jaw from excessive gum chewing, and inflammation (e.g. from arthritis). Additionally, misaligned upper cervical joints, bones, discs, or soft tissue can pinch the trigeminal nerve and disrupt sensory and motor function regulated by the nervous system.
TMJ Treatment from a Certified Chiropractor in Tacoma, WA
Doctor Danan Bakke will do an extensive physical and spinal evaluation at our clinic to confirm or rule out TMJ. We can design your TMJ treatment plan to relieve pain and improve jaw functions if you're diagnosed with the disorder:
- Jaw Realignment: Doctor Bakke will gently realign the jaw joints to eliminate pain and jaw popping and increase joint mobility.
- Cervical Adjustment: Gently repositioning the misaligned structures reduces jaw pain, headaches, and migraines. It removes pressure on the nerve and re-establishes sensory and motor functions in the face.
- Cervical Decompression: A non-surgical procedure done to increase disc space and relieve pain by moving the cervical structures away from the nerve.
- Holistic Therapies: We may prescribe massage therapy, nutritional counseling, physical therapy, and jaw exercises for optimum relief.
Call or Visit Our Clinic
Routine chiropractic care at Bakke Chiropractic Clinic is a natural, long-term solution for keeping TMJ symptoms under control. Call our Tacoma, WA, clinic at (253) 472-3365 to schedule an appointment with doctor Bakke.