For some, sports activities are fun and a great way to exercise. For others, sports are a source of livelihood. Unfortunately, whether they’re professional or for pleasure, most sports have a risk of injury. An injury can be devastating, especially if you are a professional athlete.
If a sports injury is stopping you from doing what you love, chiropractic care can help. Chiropractic methods help speed up your recovery using natural, non-invasive techniques. At Bakke Chiropractic Clinic in Tacoma, WA, our team can diagnose and treat your sports injury.
However, it is still important to understand common types of sports injuries, how to prevent them, and common symptoms, so that you know when it is time to seek treatment.
What Are Common Sports Injuries?
The intensity and type of injury depends on the kind of sports or physical activities you participate in. Below are some of the common types of sports injuries.
- Sprains and strains: If your sport involves twisting and stretching, sprains can occur in the ligaments of the ankles, knees, and wrists. Pain, swelling, and inflammation may follow, limiting your mobility.
- Knees injuries: These are common with athletes. Knee injuries can occur due to inadequate warming up or a blow or twist to the knee.
- Swollen muscles: When muscles swell, they cause pressure in your body. Muscle soreness is common and can be very uncomfortable.
Other types of injuries include:
- Achilles tendon injuries
- Shin splints
- Tennis/golfers elbow
- Neck, shoulder, knee, and back pains
What Should I do if injured?
There is a popular misconception that you should push through the injury. This notion isn’t true. Leaving your injury untreated hinders recovery and can create other health complications. Seek treatment right away if you are experiencing severe pain or swelling in the injured area.
How Can Chiropractic Care Help?
The good thing is that most sports injuries are treatable with chiropractic care. Chiropractic treatment options include:
- Spinal manipulation: This technique aims to reposition misaligned vertebrae and discs to alleviate pressure on the pinched nerves, reducing pain.
- Massage therapies: This releases tension in stiff muscles, reduces inflammation, and promotes blood circulation to allow self-healing.
- Sports rehabilitation therapy: Sports injuries cause muscle loss and reduced joint mobility. Our rehabilitation program can restore organ function and reduce pain.
How Can Sports Injuries Be Prevented?
Adequate warm-ups can prevent most muscle-related sports injuries. Chiropractic muscle strengthening exercises can also toughen your muscles to avoid future injuries. It’s also important not to push your body past its limits.
Start Your Sports Injury Treatment
If you are suffering from a sports injury, don’t wait to get help. At Bakke Chiropractic Clinic in Tacoma, WA, we can create a personalized treatment plan for you. Our team will help you return to your favorite sport pain-free. To learn more or to schedule an appointment, call us today.